Saturday, June 23, 2007

Light Shed

Well, since my post on Anesthesiology, I have had some light shed on the subject!

First, through an unexpected (but greatly appreciated) comment from an actual anesthesiologist, I got feedback on my post and then read her extremely informative post. The post is the result of her frustrations with the general misconception (even by other physicians) about her profession/specialty. Really informative and insightful stuff; just what I was looking for! Read it here.

The other aspect of this is when I shadowed an oculo-plastics ophthalmologist the other day. He is a friend of my friend, so I guess I'm connected to him by two points. Anyway, there was an anesthesiologist present during some of his cases, so I had the chance to talk to the gas man himself! It wasn't a very long interaction, but it was useful in any case. I also got to talk with a pathologist, who seemed quite happy tucked away in his nice office, far from the buzzing, meat-moving flow of the rest of the hospital. A few histology slides later, and I was on my way back to the O.R. to watch more eye-lids get slashed open.

Anyway, it goes to show. You must mature a lot during medical school; the exposure you receive, the blood and sweat you suffer, the time you spend, and the experiences you have probably all act to guide you into your own little niche. And as I've discovered elsewhere in life, things always change, and if you're up to it, they'll change for the better. I think the best I can do now is focus on the two years ahead...or perhaps just the month or two ahead.

Overwhelmed, but excited.

Countdown until day 1 of school: ~51 days

No comments: