Sunday, September 9, 2007

Medical School Sucks

I'm thankful to be in, and for the vast myriad of opportunities that await me and my hard-working colleagues.

That said, medical school really does suck no matter how you spin it. It's a prestigious profession with pretty much the longest training time-scale of anything a person could choose to go into. It's expected that the training will take sacrifice, sacrifices I was willing to make when I interviewed and that I'm still willing to make now that I'm in and starting to really make them.

That said again, (bitch, moan) it sucks. My class-mates are so competitive. We're all going into different specialties for the most part - who cares who gets the highest grades? Oh no...if you're not in the top 10% of the class you might....not get into medical school or something! Truth be told, the higher your marks, the more chances you will have for residencies and specialties that you want. If I wanted dermatology, I'd be studying this instant instead of typing a blog-post...that is just how bad dermatology is to match into, for instance. Luckily, I don't want the ultra-competitive specialties. The things I think are cool are the mid-level ones, so I gotta still work as hard as possible.

Agh, it's all driving me nuts. Just nuts. The first exam block is beginning and I'm losing it.

No comments: