Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Ignorant

I am ignorant and naive.

I do not have any first-hand experience in medical education yet, and therefore my blog is not even a real blog because I have no experiences to share.

Part of being prepared is to be unprepared and aware of this: thinking that you know what is coming is realizing that you know nothing.

I preach on and on about how "certain" I am that I'll go into Emergency Medicine. After thinking and meditating at length on the whole issue, I digress. I clear my plate. I still have a marked interest in that specialty, but I could not possibly have the knowledge to truly sway one way or another.

I am open again to anything and everything, to changing times, changing minds, and new experiences. I can safely say that certain things are ruled out, such as:

General Surgery
Psychiatry
OB/GYN
Ophthalmology
Dermatology

That's a start, right? But I'm going to go into this fresh, focusing on the pre-clinical years with USMLE Step I in mind and no further. I do not know myself just yet.

No comments: