Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hierarchy

I had my first day of out-patient (ambulatory) Internal Medicine today. Before I divulge into that, I wanted to relay to you my new status...at the bottom of the medical teaching hierarchy. Like a private in the army, I get to be the MS3 (Medical Student 3rd Year). The chain of command goes as such, in descending order.

Attending
Resident
Intern (1st year resident)
Sub-Intern (4th year)
MS4
MS3

Woo! The climb begins! The basic philosophy of training at this early stage is exposure, exposure, exposure, and do, do, do. Then do some more. We've taken our pre-clinical basic science courses and consolidated our "knowledge" in USMLE step 1. Now its time to see it all literally come to life. I'll just say for now that this is a very exciting time in training, and it is where you make leaps and bounds towards becoming an actual physician.

No comments: