Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Pricks

You know what is funny? This happens to everyone in medicine. We come in all doe-eyed and ready to save the world, and by the end of 3rd year our cynicism peaks and we're angry, jaded bastards. It's hard to keep a blog when all you want to do is bitch. I'm nearing the end of my 3rd year...actually 8 days from the end. I'm wrapping up OB/GYN rotation, which is the very last thing in my surgery block. The 4:30am mornings out of bed, the 7:00pm and later arrivals at home, the endless standing in the OR's srcubbed in. I shall write about it at some point, for it has been months of intense madness and often misery. But now I'll just do a random bitching.

Subjective evaluations. They count for most of your grade. It's how the system is set up and it is complete bull-shit. Medical student A works his ass off and because his resident or attending is a jerk, or just has a given style/philosophy of grading, he'll get a harsh evaluation. Student B might mess around all rotation and since his resident is really chill, he might get a far better evaluation. That is the system in a nut-shell.

I've ran into a lot of dick holes. One was a GI doc during my surgery rotation. He wasn't evaluating me, but he was a dick hole nonetheless. One of our patients was status-post gastric bypass, and as you'd expect, had a host of metabolic and nutritional issues from mal-absorption. Yeah, it's kinda hard to absorb Fe and Vitamin B12 without your gastric antrum(?) intact. She was going really anemic during her stay and her hemoglobin was in the range of I think 7.0-7.9.

This asshole asked me, "why do you think she's anemic?"

I'm like, "well...we've been drawing blood from her every single morning and she's also missing her gastric---" he cut me off and replied in a frustrated tone,

"you're supposed to be a medicine doc! What are they teaching you! She's had a gastric bypass surgery, of course she's anemic, she is having trouble with Fe absorption" etc etc and he walks ot of the room.

My attending comes in and I ask him, "Why does [patient] have low hemoglobin?"

"Oh, well its because we've been drawing her blood every day."

Fuck you, shit bag GI fucker.

No comments: